Thursday 18 February 2010

other people's art

In my iPhoto I have stored a considerable amount of photos of other people's art. It can be anything I come across, that tickles my interest, some are pieces made of famous artists, some quite unknown (at least to me). They all have someting that I find interesting and inspiring. I thought maybe I should start sharing them with you. I will try to remember to give up the sources from where I found them, but - I don't always remember.










These are drawings by a woman called Pearl Blauvelt (found via Mieke Willems blog), who lived in New York and who left behind 800 drawings, found after her death. She was self-taught, unskilled artist, she drew things she saw in magazines, in shops and in her immediate surroundings. When the building she had lived in was to be renovated, her drawings were found in an old wooden box. Some of them are now part of MOMAs collection in New York. Quite fascinating. See Raw vision for more.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

these remind me a little of James Castle's work. Do you know him? There was an exhibit last year (?) at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Very interesting.

Aase G said...

I see what you mean, they do have lots in common. I didn't know anything about James Castle, thanks for telling me:) Fascinating that he was deaf and could not read...(according to my google finds about him)!