Monday 1 February 2010

Japan, Japan

Posted by Picasa

Clockwise: Ryoko Aoki, Zon Ito, Yuka Katagiri. All young Japanese artists, except for Zon Ito, they all do drawings. It may look like a drawing, but on closer inspection you see that it's embroidery. I like this whimsical, naîve style of drawing/ embroidery.
(click to see larger image)



Above a print by contemporary German artist Eva Pietzcker , and the famous Tsunami wave by the 19th century Japanese artist Hokusai. Both use Japanese woodblock print, a waterbased print method. 

In beginning of March, I will attend a one week work-shop to learn this printing method. The work-shop takes place in Berlin, and is given by the aforementioned artist Eva Pietzcker. I'm very excited and hope I'll be in good form by then, I've been feeling a bit under the weather (as they say) lately.  

No comments: